24 de outubro de 2006

Depois de Campo Santo, de que ainda me lembro do local onde li as últimas páginas (há locais que conservo na memória só por lá ter lido um livro), e The Emigrants, chegou a vez de Vertigo. Um cheirinho:
«One occasion, in Gonzagagasse, I even thought I recognised de poet Dante, banished from his home town on pain of being burned at the stake. For some considerable time he walked a short distance ahead of me, with the familiar cowl on his head, distinctly taller than the people in the street, yet he passed by them unnoticed. When I walk faster in order to catch him up he went down Heinrichsgasse, but when I reached the corner he was nowhere to be seen. After one of two turns of this kind I began to sense in me a vague apprehension, witch manifested itself as a feeling of vertigo.»

Tal como os livros anteriores e, certamente, os próximos, Vertigo é um livro que apetece ler devagar, duas ou três páginas de cada vez. É que a prosa de W. G. Sebald é um bem demasiado escasso para que se consuma sem se saborear, um deslumbramento que se receia que acabe.