28 de dezembro de 2006

«(…) in Aracataca, where we lived, I'd never had the chance to see ice. And once the banana company commissioner received some frozen snapper. And I was struck by those red snappers that looked like rocks, so I asked my grandfather. And my grandpa, who always explained everything to me, said they looked like rocks because they were frozen. And I asked him what "frozen" meant, and he took me by the hand and took me to the commissioner and asked them to open up a box of frozen snapper, and I got to discover ice. And of course, when I had to decide between dromedary and ice, I stayed with ice because, from a literary standpoint, it was much more suggestive. What's incredible now is that all of One Hundred Years of Solitude started from that all-so-simple image.» Gabriel García Márquez, entrevista a Ernesto González Bermejo (1971)